Walk into a time trapped tunnel where a paradise with no worries , no care exists! Where else could it be other than Arugum Bay – Sri Lanka! Emerge in the ‘now’ where all is possible at Arugum Bay, a small town sprawled in the eastern coast of Sri Lanka, a most sought after destination for keen surfers across the world!
I am a local and not a surfer, I don’t bask in the sun either.. Let me tell you.. Arugum bay has a lot more to offer than surfing.
Here ‘s my story
Arugum Bay is for Foodies for sure!
Vibrant restaurants to street food – you name it and you have it.
What more the unbelievable variations and twists to local favorites are a must try. Here are few of my favorites….
Chinese roll – has nothing to do with Chinese and I have no idea how the name came up. It is a firm favorite with the locals and loved by kids and adults for sure – A thick/ flat pancake stuffed with mashed potatoes and tuna, wrapped up, coated with breadcrumbs and deep fried. – Usually served with tomato ketch up ! Just delicious
Another a must try is the local bruschetta ..local toasted bread infused with a beautiful, juicy tomato topping. I just loved this!
If you get as crazy as me, go-ahead and try the Nutella infused/ coated flat bread for your breakfast. Well not necessary a healthy option but who wants healthy options in a paradise ? You can have these in many places down the Main Street .. this was my favorite but if you do not like sweetest of flavors there are plenty of savory options available. It is made right in front of you and served hot !
Places to stay at Arugum Bay
- There are many options for accommodation based on what you want from quaint luxury accommodation to beach huts to mid to low range accommodation.
- You can select your preference based on your budget, whether you travel solo, as a couple, friends , family or in a larger group, whether you want a beach front ( my favorite so that I hear the sound of the waves forever and see the sun rise over the horizon)
- Book early if you are traveling during the season ( April – November )
Surf N Sun is one of my favorites – It has such brilliant character and so much creativity everywhere!
Things to do in Arugum Bay
- Of course – Surfing – Arugum Bay is The place
However there are lot more other interesting adventures that you can simply embark on.
- One of my favorite – Visit Kumana National Park – Home to the elusive leopard and abundantly blessed with beautiful wetlands that are home to so many beautiful birds. It is a 30 minute drive and there are plenty of places that will organize a morning or afternoon Safaris. You can check prices and make arrangements to fit your schedule.
- Remember there is no rush , your game drive is such a intimate and private affair!
- The beaches are not only to bask in the sun! – they are places to see and feel the everyday lives of locals, sea fishermen return from the ocean or a place to sit by and sip a cool beer while watching the changing shades on the horizon
A busy day in the beach is not the closure to a stunning day in Arugum Bay. The spectacular evening unfolds at dusk where numerous vendors stack up there B.B.Q grills on the street. A fascinating array of freshly caught sea food from jumbo prawn to squid to exquisite range of fish are displayed. All you have to do is to pick your choice and pick the spice levels and there you go – have your own B.B.Q on the streets!
Extend your walk down the street to visit a few interesting places where local hand crafts or locally produced goodies are sold before saying good bye !
” Are you about to book your next holiday to Arugum Bay ? Well I would anytime !